Overland Trucks

It is currently Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: My chainsaw, let me show you it.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:24 pm 
Anus Hurts From Crapping So Many Posts

So we have this poor dying Mimosa tree in the back yard... the entire tree is in the last of its death throes, but it's hard to stomach just cutting the whole thing down (and harder to get Becky to accept such an act)... so for the moment I just decided to cut down the bigger,worse-off, and more-likely-to-fall-on-the-house branch of the Y.

I cut down a bunch of the upper branches with my little bow saw and started to try to cut the main piece down with it - but this saw just was not made for cutting down 10" trees and I don't have a tree-felling axe... so I started researching chain saws. I decided, based on my minimal needs, to just go cheap and small. I was tempted by the even cheaper electric ones, but a gas saw is just way cooler, more powerful, and could potentially be used for camping etc.

So, with all that, I bought the $99 14" Poulan from Lowes. I've never used a chain saw before so I've been learning a lot about how to cut, how to keep the chain tight etc. This thing is pretty damn cool. It seems to go through about as much chain and bar oil as it does gas but it worked like a champ and just ate through the logs like crazy.

On another note, the wood of this tree has brown spirals all the way to the center of it. I assume that's the decay/disease/whatever, but it sure looks cool. Someone should make a guitar or something out of this wood - see the second picture below.

Last, there is a pic of the sad bit of tree that's left. I'm going to give it a chance to grow this spring and see what happens, but I'm fairly confident that I'll be cutting down the rest of it later this year.

I'm planning to plant a bunch more red oak, burr oak, and live oak trees around the property in a couple months to help make up for it. It'll probably take 10 years for the new trees to be anywhere near a big as the one I had to cut down, but that's just the way it is with trees.

Pen & Teller on dolphins: "A little fur around the blowhole might make them sexy, but it don't make them mammals. Fuck them. They're fish"