Overland Trucks

It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Subaru SAS
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:25 am 
Queef McGee

http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a ... 925151/p/1

Certain circumstances have required me to dismantle the caR50 and do something with the front end. I plan on this taking over a year. Most picture links in this post will be linked to the larger version of the image.

First of all let's get a picture of what I am starting with.

and where I currently am:

Transmission and transfer case were pulled yesterday. It is amazing how easy this yob is when you have done it eleventy billion times. This weekend: engine, then we can start cutting and reinforcing.

Pics:

I need your advice. I think I do not need the subframe. With proper reinforcement I can build up the 'frame rails' which are already 1/8" thick and fab my own motor mounts. I would also need a cross member or two. Note: The subframe does nothing to strengthen the front 'frame' to body connection, it only bolts up in 8 places and acts as an engine/steering/lower a-arm attachment point. It was probably conceived for ease of manufacture assembly and cost effective rigidity. See pics below:

I have done ZERO to the caR50, but have been working on the Project as a whole:

1. Step one Clean Shop
2. Acquire tools for yob
3. ?
4. Drive caR50

My shop (shed) is small, but it needs to be organized. I have been putting OSB up on the walls and running electrical. I also buried a 20 amp circuit to my drive way.

In one of the pictures you can see how I miss cut several electrical outlet holes..oh well the shed is my learning curve and the OSB is just there to support conduit.

John, do you have any pictures of the home-made dryer?

This is what I came home to today.

The only damage i could find other than some scratches was the bent in snorkel inlet.

But I also got this Saturday with radius arms, body radius arm mount, shock mounts, steering, trackbar and new superlift trackbar, and calipers:

How do I convert this thing to 6 lug? Is there a Chevy or Heep hub that will bolt to the Ferd spindle or do I need complete outers?

Post subject: Re: Subaru SAS
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:36 pm 
acrophobic

system-f wrote:
http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/885603133/m/90620925151/p/1

How do I convert this thing to 6 lug? Is there a Chevy or Heep hub that will bolt to the Ferd spindle or do I need complete outers?

I know how much you love spacers, but a 5 to 6 lug adapter would be your easiest option.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:55 pm 
(.)(.)

slag wrote:
system-f wrote:
http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/885603133/m/90620925151/p/1

I know how much you love spacers, but a 5 to 6 lug adapter would be your easiest option.

You can literally just throw 6-lug chevy hubs on it as well. That's what I did....and then went back when I put the 5-lug 9" in my rear. (gigity)

It's probably a toss-up for cost, but the hubs are safer/more reliable and won't add and overall width.

If you ever fall in to a deep depression and nothing can cheer you up, don't give up hope. Just remember that the man who played Mr. Belvedeer once sat on his own balls and had to be rushed to the hospital, which is absolutely hilarious.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 1:45 pm 
Queef McGee

I am worried about adding extra width. This thing is wide and I am already thinking about cutting down the long side to run a waggy long inner which will allow me to lose another 1.8".